Sunday, January 20, 2013

Juicy Roast Turkey Breast and Friday Faves

The secret to juicy Roast Turkey Breast || foodiecrush.com #recipe

It’s the new year and a lot of us (ME!) are subtlely watching the food going into our mouths in proportion to the numbers on the scale going up. Or if you’re being diligent like I’m trying to be, going down.

A popular protein this time of year is chicken. Chicken, chicken, chicken. Lean, white meat that can be masked in multiple applications and hardly offensive to any sensitive palate. It’s not like we’re talking liver here.

I do like free-range, organic chicken, but what about the other white meat? Pork? Yes, pork, but not this time. I’m talking turkey. In fact, turkey breast.

The secret to juicy Roast Turkey Breast || foodiecrush.com #recipe

Turkey gets the short end of the stick when it comes to cooking it at any time other than the holidays or being sliced up in a deli sandwich. But the turkey has so much more to offer, especially as a single breast all roasted up and ready to gobble.

Bad pun, I’ll take a punch for that one.

A local grocer has recently taken on the turkey initiative and expanded their roster of available cuts of turkey. Rather than just offering up the national brands of ground turkey meat or a few off-hand whole birds, Harmon’s Grocery is butchering every cut of the bird in individual offerings. You want legs? You got legs. You want wings? You got wings. You want the breast? I want the breast! They also freshly grind their own turkey meat so I know its not going to be mixed with fillers or flattened in flavor thanks to having every ounce of fat removed from it. I recently had a bad experience with a kosher brand I picked up at Trader Joe’s—that I thought would have been fantastic given the price—so I’m back to my go-to freshly butchered variety.

I recently gave my favorite recipe for roast turkey breast when I guest posted for Shawn on her tasty blog I Wash You Dry and she took some well deserved time off and vacationed with her kids and husband at Disneyland. Turkey for Mickey? That’s a grand trade indeed.

So scoot over, get the recipe, start watching the numbers on your scale head in the downward position and check out what other tasty vittles Shawn has to offer.

And noooooooowwwww, just a lovely selection of my Friday Faves.

1. Negative calorie ingredients may lead to weight loss? Jackie investigates with a soup recipe to die(t) for.

2. So you don’t live in Brooklyn but want to shop like a local, hipster foodie? Check out Dépanneru, the new online bodega located in Williamsburg, Brooklyn that features everything salty and sweet from Brooklyn-ite purveyors. Curated by a group of hipsters themselves, including grilled cheese blogger extraordinaire MacKenzie, this site is sure to spread the foodie love with a bigger Brooklyn accent than Rosie Perez when yelling for Woody Harrelson. “I love you infinity plus infinity!”

3. Food bloggers: It’s happened to me (this week, and has yet to be resolved) and it’s probably happened to you. And if it hasn’t yet, it will. David imparts his wisdom on what to do when someone lifts the content from your blog. (via @AmbitiousKitch)

4. Speaking of the inimitable David, here’s his great interview with Matt on food photography. Getting down to the nitty gritty, even to which pen Matt prefers to write with. Want more? See my interview with Matt here.

5. Speaking of interviews, thank you to newly-mothered Rachel for featuring me on her Day In the Life series. I LOVE perusing the other featured bloggers and gaining insight into their days.

6. January. Organization. As I’ve mentioned before, not many do it better than Tracy. Check out her many organizing projects (+ check for her, – check for me) and her goals for 2013. How do they stack up to yours?

7. Speaking of getting things into order, I am obsessing over these folders, and how nobody came up with them before must mean there wasn’t a woman involved with product development.

8. And how could we ignore the kitchen? The biggest cluster-frick-frack in the whole house! Now, here’s 40 great kitchen organizing tools to create the cooking oasis of your dreams. (via @TTableKitchen)

9. This video emulates pretty much exactly how I feel each time I make my beloved guacamole. How ‘bout you? (via @completedelish)

10. Are you a pinner? Me too. And I’ve been back-seat lazily searching (okay, I haven’t looked but have totally wanted to) for the Pin It button that appears when you move the cursor over an image so it’s-oh-so-easily-wham-bam-pinned. Thanks to another great Pinterest tutorial from Amanda, my dilemma is no more. Amanda, how many chocolate cookies do I owe you for saving me so much investigative time?

BONUS: What’s that you say? You want to an iPad 2? And a $100 gift card? And a bunch of other stuff?  I’m giving one away when you enter here. Did someone mention turkey meatballs?

Related Recipes
Mexican Turkey Meatball Sandwiches with Avocado
10 Cranberry Recipes Plus a Grilled Brie, Turkey, Cranberry & Avocado Sandwich 
Turkey and White Cheddar with Caramelized Onion and Grape Grilled Cheese Sandwich 

Thanks for reading and please keep in touch. Subscribe to FoodieCrush and follow me on  Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest and check out FoodieCrush magazine.

Pin It Tagged as: dinner, entree, lunch, recipe, roast turkey, turkey, turkey breast


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment