Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Savory Pies: Tater Tot Bake

Oct 22, 2006 After reading the reviews, I used this recipe as a jumping off point and made the following changes: Used 2lbs of ground sirloin, 1 can cream of mushroom, 1 can cheddar cheese soup, a full bag of tater tots, and a can of french style green beans. I browned the beef with the onion and a teaspoon of minced garlic, and 1 tablespoon greek seasoning. I then mixed the soups and 1 cup of milk into the meat after it was browned and drained. I layered the greenbeans on the bottom of a 9X13 casserole dish, spooned the meat mixture over it, then sprinkled 2 cups of shredded cheddar over that, then topped with the tots, which I patted down into the cheese. sprinkled the whole thing with some fresh ground pepper, and baked at 350 for 40 minutes. For those other reviewers who complained about blandness, well I think it's common sense to season your meat while cooking, and hey, be adventurous and use this recipe as a starting point, tweak it with different soups, cheeses, spices...My family and I really enjoyed this dish, and while I did make changes, I think this recipe deserves 5 stars for a great basic recipe, and inspiration. I am looking forward to the leftovers for lunch tomorrow, I am betting that like most casseroles like this, it'll taste even better tomorrow! :)

—Mare 

View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment