Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Meatless Main Dishes: Summer Vegetable Ratatouille

Oct 12, 2004 If you need a kick of veggies, you can make this a healthy meal in itself!! I used what I had in the house and for veggies only used 1 zucchini, 2 eggplants (I cubed the eggplant then lightly coated with salt and drained in a collander for an hour before cooking), 1 red pepper and substituted 2 cans of drained tomatoes for the fresh. Also added 1 1/2 cups mushrooms too. I also reduced the oil significantly, adding only a splash of oil (and a spray of nonstick cooking spray) each time sauteeing. Didn't have bay leaf or thyme so I used fresh basil and dried oregano and parsley instead. Still turned out divine! Also, be sure to remove the large pot with sauteed onions and garlic from heat until you finish adding all the other veggies (I have a gas range and the onions ended up burning, even on low heat!) Serve with parmesan cheese on top to make it extra nice!

—RACH8 

View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment