Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Slow Cooker Recipes: Slow Cooker Chicken with Mushroom Wine Sauce

Sep 21, 2010 I changed this a bit, doing something some slow cooker people might not like: adding an extra pan. I browned my chicken first (5 pieces) in a big SS skillet. Season with your favorite spice blend (I used a mix of Lawry's & Mrs. Dash). Brown on med/med high heat, and then transfer to SC. I then added about 2TBS butter, and a cup of chopped fresh onion (omit dried). Drop heat a bit and sautee that about a min or two and add a carton of fresh chopped mushrooms (omit canned) and sautee some more. Increase wine to about 1/2 cup and add to deglaze pan. Get wine roiling pretty good, scrape bottom, and add spices (parsley, salt, garlic, pepper, etc). I then added 2 cans of 'cream of' soup (I had mushroom and chicken in the pantry). Stir that and let simmer for a few min. Drop heat to low, increase milk to 1/3 cup, and add to mix. Stir to incorporate, and then pour over chicken in slow cooker, moving things around to get good coverage. Cook on low or high as directed, though I think 4-5 hours on low should be enough since you've already browned the chicken... caveat emptor: be aware of how your slow cooker works. I liked this served over rice with a side of English peas. Some things I might try next time are adding a few TBS of capers, and/or switching to pearl onions added with mushrooms after deglazing pan. If you don't mind the extra pan and just a little extra prep time, I think this really works.

—OldBear 

View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment