Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Deep Fried: Fried Chicken Chunks (Chicharrones De Pollo) Dominican

May 04, 2010 The 1/2 cup minced garlic made me doubtful! But I made it because this was a food I enjoyed in Dominican Republic - great beach food, & great for a late night snack on the "Malecon" (main road along the ocean)! I followed it exactly except I made up a version of the Goya Sazon seasoning based on its label's ingredients. (I love Goya's products, but their Sazon is mostly MSG, salt & artificial colorants!!) I WILL make it again, next time with Sazon, & I WILL update this review with the results ~ & hopefully give it more stars. (To those concerned about the rum in this, know that recipes having alcohol which are then cooked means the alcohol will evaporate.) UPDATE: I made this a 2nd time, exactly as written, using Goya's Sazon this time & Daisy Martinez' Dry Adobo seasoning blend (from another site) - except I did let it marinate about 20 hours. The 2-inch chunks were fried at 300 F for 3 minutes. When eaten freshly hot, it was steamy & the rum's flavor was obvious, but the garlic was not overwhelming. We did prefer it at room temperature. It is very tasty in its own right, but tasted nothing at all like all the Chicharrones de Pollo I had in Dominican Rep. The only similarity was the fried flour coating, but I remember a thicker & seasoned coating, so try some chunks double dipped in seasoned flour. Even though Dom. Rep. is a rum producer, I know they don't use rum in the Chicharrones' marinade. I'll still give this 4-1/2 stars, as it was very tasty in its own right.

—Rhianna 

View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment