Saturday, April 27, 2013

Start Off St. Paddy's Day With a Bowl of Irish Oatmeal

Recipes for green food, whiskey-infused treats, indulgent potato dishes, and other Irish delights abound, but - believe it or not - I'm most partial to an Irish ingredient with humble, hearty origins: oats. So when we received a shipment of three varieties of the Irish grain, my eyes lit up and my stomach immediately began to grumble. A little simmering and stirring later, I sat down to a hearty bowl of each seasoned with naught but a pinch of salt and a pat of butter to let the true texture and flavor of each variety shine. Keep reading to learn which tin (or bag) is right for your morning routine.

From left to right: McCann's Steel Cut Irish Oatmeal, Kilbeggan Organic Porridge Oatlets, Flahavan's Irish Steel Cut Oatmeal

McCann's Steel Cut Irish Oatmeal

Chances are, if you've had steel-cut oats stateside, McCann's Steel Cut Irish Oatmeal was the variety you tucked into. Chewy, dense, and nutty, I consider them to be a standard-bearer of sorts and regularly turn to their gold-bedecked tin when simmering up my morning pot of oats or to add texture to a big batch of baked oatmeal.

Keep reading for my thoughts on Kilbeggan and Flahavan's oaten offerings.

View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment