Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Deep Fried: Southern Fried Chicken

Jul 09, 2005 This is a fabulous recipe, excellent tasting crispy chicken and doesn't take a rocket scientist to cook. I do have some additions,like others, adding 1 tsp garlic powder and 1 tsp onion powder. I also mix it all together with the flour in a plastic ziploc bag then pour it into a glass pie pan to dredge. If you want Popeyes style chicken, add 1/2 to 1 tsp of cayenne pepper to your flour mixture. I also always use a hint given to me by a wonderful elderly black southern lady; 20 minutes before cooking your chicken, place in a bath of ice water and pour a liberal amount of salt in and let it sit. This helps with those icky blood vessels than can appear in or near the bone. Finally, I never ever "quick cook" chicken. I have fried chicken for years, giving it up for health reasons, but have found 45 minutes of cooking time are needed especially for dark meat pieces and I repeatedly turn my chicken every 10 minutes or so to evenly cook, cooking the last 10 minutes at around 325 degrees (I use an electric skillet) to keep from burning the crust.

—TREXNONNY 

View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment