Friday, April 26, 2013

Savory Pies: Easy Shepherd's Pie with Garlic Romano Potatoes

Apr 24, 2011 I usually use a shepherd's pie recipe with cream of mushroom soup, but wanted to try something different. I don't think I'll ever go back, this is quite good. I did make a number of changes, as follows: - I cut the whole recipe in half and used an 8x8 casserole dish. - I used Italian turkey sausage instead of ground beef (as suggested by others). This gives it a great flavor. - I tried to get rid of some of the grease from the ground turkey before adding the tomato sauce and veggies. - I omitted the can of diced tomatoes (I'm a bit peculiar about where I like my tomatoes and shepherd's pie is not one of them). - Instead of the canned vegetables, I used fresh asparagus, red bell pepper, and mushrooms. I really enjoyed this combination. - I steamed the potatoes instead of boiling them (heard this keeps in more of the nutrients) - this increased the cooking time to 20 minutes. - I added some feta cheese to the potato mixture; I don't know if this had much effect on the final product. - I used the water from the boiled potatoes instead of milk (healthier). - I didn't broil it at the end (my broiler is frustrating - separate from the main oven - didn't seem worth it). Overall, I really enjoyed this. And it's a super easy recipe. Definitely a keeper!

—Salsera713 

View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment