Thursday, May 30, 2013

Meatless Main Dishes: Easy Masoor Daal

Apr 23, 2010 This recipe is missing quite a few stars of the show in my opinion. No Garlic! No Garam Masala spices mixture! Not nearly enough turmeric! Dried onion instead of fresh?! And no cilantro?! This needs at least 1 teaspoon of Garam Masala. An additional 3/4 teaspoon of turmeric... 4 gloves of minced garlic, an inch and a half of minced fresh ginger root, a 1/2-3/4 cup cilantro, and a whole fresh onion. I also usually shred some carrot to add to it when cooking the lentils. And I add a diced medium tomato at the end. I saute 1 diced onion in about 1/4 cup oil until its softened... then add the minced garlic, ginger, and spices and cook for 4-5 minutes, ensuring not to burn the spices and garlic. Then I add the diced tomato and cilantro to the onions and cook til the tomatoes get nice and soft, stir that mixture into the lentils... simmer it all together for about 5-10 minutes and serve it over steamed basmati rice. I've been doing it like this for ages and its incredible. For those that dislike cilantro, just omit it or use much less.

—Nikolette T 

View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment