Friday, February 22, 2013

Ring In the Year of the Snake With Fragrant Steamed Fish

For anyone who hails from Southeast China, it wouldn't be the Lunar New Year without some form of fish. The Chinese are big on words that sound the same but have double meanings, and the common Mandarin phrase nian nian you yu ("may there be surpluses every year") sounds the same as the phrase "may there be fish every year."

A fragrant whole fish, steamed and served with aromatic ginger, scallions, and cilantro, is a staple of my family's annual dinner. The dish is flexible with the variety (my mom prefers pompano, and I enjoy trout or sea bass) and the cooking method (she makes hers in the microwave, while I use the oven), but fish is an absolute must at the table.

For my family's classic recipe, keep reading.

View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment