Saturday, February 16, 2013

Meatballs: Waikiki-Style Meatballs

Nov 29, 2011 What a terrific change-up over the usual Italian or BBQ meatball recipes. Where has this been all my life? I made it on the stovetop tonight (baked meatballs and simmered them in the sauce while rice cooked) and was rewarded with smiles all around. Only one change, red pepper for green, because that's how we roll. I used apple cider vinegar because the recipe didn't specify and it just seemed right with the other sauce ingredients. It was a good choice, adding another layer of flavor to a simple, but so very tasty dish. I usually think of ways to improve a recipe as I'm eating it, but with this I was thinking of variations, like adding soy sauce to make it teriyaki, or a little cayenne to give it a kick. I would definitely use the sauce baked over chicken breasts, too. With less cornstarch it would make an island-inspired stir-fry. And it would be so good with pork tenderloin. Oh, the possibilities... The meatballs were delish, too, and such a solid simple recipe that, like the sauce, there are many possible variations, by adding different spices. I made gluten free breadcrumbs in the food processor and they worked perfectly. Next time (and there WILL be one) I might use crushed pineapple so I get a little pineapple in every bite, but that's just a matter of personal taste. This really is a very good recipe. Thank you, Sammie, for adding 2 new guns to my kitchen arsenal. You rock!

—lucylove is not a baking Pro Member (Learn more about Pro)

View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment